Friday, October 10, 2014

Blue Plate Diner


While I was packing to head home from our Rhode Island trip, my husband was more than willing to go pick up dinner (and get out of packing). We ordered takeout from a restaurant right down the street from our hotel, called Blue Plate Diner. The building looks beautiful (picture taken by my husband). The pictures on the website of the food is what made us want to eat from here. It's home style comfort food, made very elegantly. Unfortunately from driving around in a car and being in to-go containers, my pictures aren't as great. The food looks more like the whole container got shook up and down but the taste was still amazing.


For an appetizer, we got the "Garbage Fries". Waffle fries covered in cheddar cheese, homemade beef chili, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. They were unbelievable! These have to be the best loaded fries that I have ever eaten.


.......remember when I had said that the container looked like someone shook it? Yes...this is the one I was talking about....but I tried a bite of it and it was melt in your mouth tender. My husband ordered the Slow Roasted Beef Brisket, served in a red wine sauce, with root vegetables and mashed potatoes (which you can KIND of see...under that hot mess). Don't let the picture fool you. It really tasted amazing!


I decided to try the Pasta Carbonara. Perfectly cooked pasta with sauteed bacon (there was quite a bit of bacon fat that I picked off, that part wasn't as pleasant), ham, garlic and peas all tossed in a Parmesan cream sauce. The combination of everything was good. I wish that the Parmesan sauce had more of a salty kick to it rather than tasting more like a bland cream sauce, but it wasn't bad. I would probably try something else from the menu next time, but eventually I would circle my way back to this dish and order it again.

Apparently it was loaded carbs night in the hotel....that or maybe we were just really sad that our vacation was almost over. The food here is delicious, and I would love to go back and eat in the restaurant because as far as the website shows, the decor is fun and bright. And the food will probably look 10 times better on the plate when served gracefully, rather than bouncing around in a car. Definitely worth trying, and it makes me wish we had one closer!

Below is a link to their Facebook page and main website:

Blue Plate Diner, Main site

Blue Plate Diner, Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment