Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A & M Cafe



The A & M Cafe (which was once a gas station) is a small diner in Skandia, Michigan. If you are driving past while going 55 miles an hour (because of course you aren't speeding...) it is very easy to miss. Make sure that you look out for this building because I promise that you will not regret stopping here to eat.

A & M takes pride in their home-cooked style of food. And be warned, when they state that they have generous portions, they aren't kidding. Almost every week night they have a specific special, which is listed on their main website on a monthly calendar. When I went there it was between lunch and dinner on Fish Fry Friday, so they had a limited menu.


For an appetizer, my husband and I both ordered a cup of the homemade chili. For those of you that do not like beans in  your chili, this is the one for you. It was so comforting that I expected to find my mom standing in the kitchen had I walked back there. It was filled with meat, bell peppers, small bites of juicy tomato, and smothered with cheese on top. You also have the option of adding raw onion.


For dinner, I ordered the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich served with fries and a dill pickle spear. HOLY wah. Here.....let me show you more of how I saw this sandwich when set in front of me....


It was served on a large toasted Hoagie roll, and was heaping with roast beef, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and lots and lots of Mozza! I tried to eat as much as I could since it was delicious, but failed less than 2/3 of the way through (and this was after not eating breakfast or lunch and Black Friday shopping).

Not once, but twice, one of the owners (we assume) came out to our table and asked how our meal was and brought us the flyer for the monthly specials. We were the only first-timers in the restaurant when we were there. Everyone else was a regular (we could tell by the conversations with the staff) which is always a great sign that the food is good and they keep coming back. This family owned and run restaurant is well worth the stop and be sure and visit when you are good and hungry!

A link to their main website and Facebook page is below:

A & M Cafe, Facebook

A & M Cafe, Website

No comments:

Post a Comment