Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Ludington Grill

While heading from the U.P. all the way to Missouri, we needed to stop somewhere quick to eat dinner before kicking off our long day of travel. Although I wouldn't call the experience a "quick" one, it was well worth the time spent in this old state bank building turned restaurant.


I have lived in the U.P. my entire life, and have been in Escanaba quite often, and had I known this restaurant was this good I would have been here much sooner. Even though we were dressed very casual, the decor has a sense of elegance to it (maybe it's the chandelier that was above our table...) that makes you feel very relaxed.


For an appetizer we ordered the Bruschetta. The flavor was almost of a chunky semi sweet marinara sauce with shredded Mozzarella on top, and I am perfectly okay with that. The crunchy baguette and sweet tomato sauce was a perfect meal starter.


I usually stay far away from burgers at restaurants unless it is the number one thing they are known for, because normally it isn't cooked correctly when I receive it and then I am stuck with a burger that I don't want to continue eating. I took a leap of faith regardless of that, and ordered the Quesadilla Burger. This burger is topped with pepper-jack and cheddar cheese, pico de gallo and shredded lettuce, and is served with a Mexi-ranch dressing. I will be honest and say I took one smell and tiny taste of the Mexi-ranch and was not at all interested on putting it on my burger, but the pico was just enough to make this burger good. Instead of a Mexi-ranch, I think it would have been great with a few slices of avocado or some smeared guacamole on the bun, but that is just my personal opinion. I am not sure if I would call it a "quesadilla" burger either, because the first thing I think of when I hear the word quesadilla is a tortilla shell (which would also have been awesome if the burger was wrapped like a pita sandwich with a tortilla shell....) but regardless of the nit-picking, it was a very good burger.


My husband ordered what looked like the messiest sandwich of all time. He let me try a bite of it as he usually lets me, and I almost asked to switch with him! This Boursin and Bourbon Roast Turkey Sandwich is to die for. It has sliced turkey breast, crisp cooked bacon, tomato, Spring salad mix, roasted bourbon garlic glaze, and melted Boursin cheese on a kaiser roll. The combination of all of those ingredients is literally like a party in your mouth. The cheese is so soft and the bacon is so crunchy, that this sandwich really has every flavor and texture that you look for in a great sandwich. The most disappointing looking part of his plate was that side veggie bowl that looks like frozen bagged veggies thawed out. Note to myself since I usually eat with my eyes first and like things that look pretty: This sandwich may look like a bad hangover, but it is a dish that will literally keep you coming back to this restaurant.

I will say, the service was great and our waitress was very nice, but this is not a place to expect to be in and out of quickly. If you have a ladies lunch or family outing where you are already planning on catching up and having some down time between bites to eat, it is perfect. The food is amazing, the ambiance is elegant and cozy, and the staff is very prompt and welcoming. We will definitely be coming back again.

Ludington Grill, Main Site
Ludington Grill, Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment