Monday, August 25, 2014

Mt. Shasta, progress in the form of baby steps.

Well, Mt. Shasta's almost non existent menu back in the end of July, has gone back to being almost a full menu again. The dry-erase board is now just for specials, and even though they were out of many items on the menu, they at least HAD a menu to hand to people.

I had my nephew for the weekend and we mainly tried it again because the Moose Drop Inn was having troubles with a piece of equipment (which is now, thank goodness, fixed). We were waited on pretty much as soon as we sat down. My husband ordered a Caesar salad (minus Caesar dressing because they were out of it again). I ordered the turkey hotplate, since the chicken that I wanted was currently out. And my nephew ordered the deep fried whitefish basket, that was a special. After about 20 minutes, he started to ask me "what is taking so long!?" like most seven year old's would ask, and I kept telling him it had only been a few minutes. Well, after sitting for over 45 minutes to get our food, it was hard to keep telling him that. In some instances it is okay to wait for the food to get to the table, especially when it is absolutely amazing. I just can't figure out what could have been taking so long. We were one of three tables, and the table of eight that was in the restaurant when we got there had been served food shortly after we ordered.



My turkey hotplate was not bad. It was fresh turkey that was taken off of the whole bird. The mashed potatoes were obviously not home made (which I'm pretty sure neither was the gravy) but they weren't bad. All that they needed was some salt and pepper, that I took care of. It was served with a side of canned cranberry jelly. It was filling, and although nothing special, with a little bit of seasoning added, it wasn't bad.


This was the Caesar salad (with French dressing). I believe my husband's exact words were "It's a salad" when I asked him how it tasted. He ate it, so that must have meant he liked it. 


My nephew LOVED his fish. He wished that more than 4 small pieces came with the basket (the french fries took up almost the whole plate), but that was his only complaint.

Although it wasn't great, it wasn't bad this time. They need to just condense the menu (and stop scratching things off with a marker, because soon there will BE no menu if they keep doing that). If they had a smaller menu, and made a few more things that had more fresh ingredients, they might get some of their business back. Currently, the food is just not worth the price. Especially if you don't live in Michigamme, and were to drive all the way to Mt. Shasta just for dinner. People go out to eat for things that they normally can't make at home, or don't want to spend the time making at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment