Monday, August 4, 2014

Corner Cafe. A tiny, yet pleasant surprise!


I have been going back and forth between Ishpeming and Channing (for about 4-5 years), and Ishpeming and Michigamme, MI since I was little. In especially the last 5 years, I have stopped at Koski's Korner to get gas and items in the store I don't know how many times, and I never realized there was a restaurant across the street. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, and thought it was always just a hotel.

My husband and I have now had the pleasure of getting food from there twice. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, after I had found out about a death in my family. I got woken up out at camp to the awesome smell of breakfast coming from a Styrofoam container. It was perfect morning comfort food, with amazing homemade bread.


My husband got the ham and cheese omelet with homemade Rye bread (pictured above).

I got the farmers omelet with homemade Sourdough bread (pictured above).

This past weekend, we headed back there, and this being my first time going into the building, I was excited to see what this tiny little building looked like from the inside. I love diner style restaurants, and I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in. 


This building was packed with old-school charm. There is a circular counter with old round stools that are fastened to the floor, rustic kitchen accents using old kitchen utensils, and gorgeous stained glass art in the windows. They even have Yooper touristy souvenirs that you can buy (along with the stained glass).

For breakfast (or technically brunch I suppose since it was about 11 A.M. when we stopped in), I ordered the Miner's Omelet (minus the onions, because I hate raw onions), and my husband ordered a half order of biscuits and gravy. 

 My Miner's Omelet was amazing, and packed with mushrooms and other veggies, with a side of rye bread.

My husband's biscuits and gravy (which can you believe this was a half order?!) was also delicious and was topped with over medium eggs and shredded cheese.

Next time we go back for breakfast or lunch, I am going to have to order what my husband got. I love a good omelet, since eggs are one of my favorite things to eat for any meal, but I actually HATE biscuits and gravy, and could eat a whole plateful of theirs! They don't put an overwhelming amount of sausage in the sauce, and the texture is smooth and creamy. And of course they topped it with an egg, which makes it even better!

To finish, we both shared a homemade lemon bar that packed a tangy punch!

The only negative point that I could possibly make of this diner, is that they are only open from 7 A.M. to 3 P.M. I wish they would stay open for dinner! Amazing homemade food in a small hole-in-the-wall diner setting. You have to stop in!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We look forward to serving you again :)
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem! We will definitely be back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next that you stop in the Corner Cafe, time it for lunch. They have the best burgers around. Size is 1/2 POUND AND IS DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The next time you are the Corner Cafe, have a burger. They are a 1/2 pound of delectable juicy meat with any fixings you want. They are the best around be far.

    ReplyDelete