Monday, March 27, 2017

Triangle Restaurant while chillin' in McMillan


While heading from Marquette towards the bridge, we wanted to stop somewhere for breakfast and desperately needed a sit down with real food, none of this sandwich from McDonald's business and then call it "breakfast" when you are still starving afterwords. My husband and his dad used to come here while on wrecker calls back when he had a towing business, and I have driven past it I don't know how many times so we decided to stop and try it out. 

The inside is pretty outdated. Judging by the cars in the lot, and the fact that most of them were large trucks, I expected it to be more of the old diner style. For the most part it at least seemed clean which is all that I usually care about. Our waitress was very kind and attentive, especially since our coffee cup seemed to diminish quite quickly that morning and she never let it empty. There were two tables that had other diners, who seemed to be locals, talking really loudly about local politics but it wasn't bothersome. We rather enjoyed listening to yooper local trash talk; it was pretty entertaining. 


I guess, judging from reviews and pictures on their Facebook page I was expecting a little bit more than what I received. I ordered the two eggs over-easy with hash browns and ham. Simple dish, nothing extravagant or crazy. I got about four bites out of the ham due to how the fat was marbled and my knife could barely cut through the fat. The hash browns, along with the eggs, were not at all seasoned with salt or pepper or any kind of seasoning to give the food flavor. I'm not scared by some runny whites still left around the egg yolks when I break into it with the toast but in this case it was almost too much for me. I just kept adding salt and pepper and at least finished the eggs.

I don't know what it is with these kinds of restaurants but the number one downfall in all of them, including this one, is that there is no simple seasoning with salt and pepper. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in restaurants (and every cooking show and Chef around the world will agree with this), NEEDS seasoning, on everything on the plate, and every step of the cooking process. The food was just bland, and under-impressive. Which is a shame because we are always driving by here. Maybe we will have to stop sometime at dinner time in the summer when the smoker is out. People seem to rave about it and hopefully since it is smoked meat, it will have some flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment