Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Palace


For a long time, the Palace was the only Mexican restaurant that I craved in the Upper Peninsula. Even though we have had a few authentic places come and go here in Marquette, I still love the Palace. Last summer I had the opportunity to stop here while in town for the Paranormal Convention and it was as good as it ever was.


Like most Mexican restaurants, you get served chips and salsa for an appetizer while you wait for your main meal to come out. The salsa here has a great kick to it. There is less of an onion to tomato ratio which I love, and they leave the salsa in bigger chunks.


For an appetizer we ordered the blackberry coconut shrimp. These butterflied fried coconut shrimp are glazed with a blackberry dijon glaze, which is to die for! The glaze is really thick, but pairs really well with the coconut.


Also while waiting, I ordered the "Italian" Margarita. It was supposed to be using Jose Cuervo, Di Saronno, Amaretto and Midori. I am not a huge margarita girl to begin with but this, THIS was absolutely terrible. I don't know what I was thinking judging by the different types of alcohol being used but I saw the word Midori and wanted to try it. For this flavor combination, just pass.


For dinner, I ordered the Queso Chimichanga. This chicken stuffed tortilla is fried to a golden brown and smothered with Queso sauce. It is served on a bed of lettuce and with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans.


Dessert was hard to choose. I normally order sopapillas but they had something called Oreo Churros on the menu so my husband and I had to try them out. Delish! I don't know how we had any room left but these alone were worth coming here for.

The Palace may have changed some in the last 10 years that it had been since I ate there, but it is still amazing food with a great ambiance and hospitality. The menu has been upgraded and has become more sophisticated and hopefully this year when we return to Paracon we will have time to stop again. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

The Palace, Main Website
The Palace, Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment