Sunday, March 1, 2015

Huron Mountain Bakery of Ishpeming


I was a huge fan of Peggy Sue's, a restaurant that used to serve up home-style cooked meals and breakfast all day. When the "For Sale" sign was in the window it used to make me sad, but when I had learned that Huron Mountain bakery had purchased the building to make a larger store up here in Ishpeming, the blow of Peggy Sue's closing was lessened. A full renovation in fall of 2014 completely changed the look and appeal of what used to be a somewhat eye sore. They are now equipped with a refrigeration unit, so along with all of the baked goods that they carried before, they now serve the same products as the Marquette store. Or do they?

The Ishpeming location, and only the Ishpeming location (for now), is offering wood-fired pizza in their new wood oven. They have only been offering pizzas for about a week now, and my husband was smart enough, I mean, gracious enough to pick two up on his way home from work a few days ago. Although I was sicker than a dog, I made myself try both of the kinds that he brought home, and I'm glad I did.


One of the pizzas that he brought home was the BLT pizza. There were layers of colorful tomatoes, cheese, crunchy bacon, shredded lettuce and homemade garlic aioli. I loved the sweetness of the tomato with the crunch of the lettuce and bacon.




One of my FAVORITE type of pizza is the Margherita pizza. I am a pretty big critic of this one, since it is one of my favorites, but the flavors were all there. There was a thin layer of tomato sauce, whole fresh basil leaves, and thinly sliced scattered melted fresh Mozzarella. The only thing I would have changed, or wished more of, was the Mozzarella cheese.


And of course, to end the meal on a sweet note, an M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Now they have many amazing goodies at Huron, such as bread that you can eat by the whole loaf full, muffins, doughnuts, pastries, cookies etc. Some of my favorites are the spinach and feta stuffed crescents.....but those we will save for another blog post. You definitely need to try out the new pizza at Huron in Ishpeming. The fresh ingredients and wood oven makes the pizza taste like you made it at home in your own kitchen.

I haven't been able to find an online menu for the pizza, but a link to their main website and Facebook page is below:

Huron Mountain Bakery

Huron Mountain Bakery, Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment