Monday, September 15, 2014

Quite a distance....but oh, SO good!

I have posted on here about the Haywire before, but this will be one of those frequently visited while in the area kind of restaurants. When you find a place that serves food made with fresh, and I mean FRESH ingredients, and it tastes amazing on top of it, you tend to want to go back.


This is what I mean by having fresh ingredients.....This picture was the view from our window. Many birds and bird feeders to watch, including a few humming birds that came to visit. And a peak at the huge garden out back. As you can see in the above picture towards the left, there are a few pumpkins and I hope that I get a chance to go back out there when the fall desserts start coming! Yum!


 For an appetizer, we got my favorite thing in the entire world, cheese curds. Normally we get Ranch dressing to dip them in, but you don't even need it. They weren't dry, the cheese was gooey and melted on the inside, and the breading wasn't too thick, but still had a good crunch.


My husband and brother-in-law both got the soup of the day, which was chili. I was sad when it showed up with no cheese on top, because I am a cheese fanatic and always top my chili with it, but after taking a bite I was pleasantly surprised to realize it didn't even need it. There was a little bit of a kick to it, but it is after all chili, it's not supposed to be bland. I am glad however that I got to try a bite before Tom doubled the volume with cracker pieces. This was one chili that was good left alone as is without anything added in.


My husband ordered the chicken and biscuits. I was sneaky and grabbed a bite and the flavors tasted like a homemade thick chicken noodle soup on top of soft homemade biscuits. I don't like gravy, and don't usually eat things with peas if I can help it, but it was very good.



For my main course at lunch I ordered the slider basket. The meat for the sliders was very good. Cooked to about a medium, and somehow the patties were soft on the inside, and had a nice crunch and crust on the outside. They were slightly on the dry side, but as soon as they were dipped in sauce they were perfect. They are served on homemade buttermilk buns that are amazing, and topped with your choice of cheese (I chose pepper-jack) and a pickle. I substituted my fries for the homemade onion rings, that were also, like everything else, delicious.


For a side with the slider basket you normally get coleslaw, which they were all out of. That was fine by me, because for one I hate coleslaw, and two they had homemade applesauce. Since even though it isn't technically fall yet, it has been roughly 40 degrees in the morning when I wake up so I consider it to be fall, and anything with apples hits the spot.


For dessert Tom had ordered the chocolate cream pie. I didn't get to try it, but he said it was delicious and practically licked the plate.


I ordered the mint chocolate brownie for dessert. I could only eat about half of it, but I was surprised I could stop at all. Mint and chocolate is normally the last flavor combination that I would order, since I am not a huge fan of mint. It was almost fudge consistency, and the chocolate frosting I could have eaten by the spoonful.

If you eat here and leave hungry.....then I would consider you to have a strange palate. I have yet to order anything that tasted bad. And I'm sure my stomach hates me when I come here because I pretty much pack as much food as I possibly can into it before I feel like I need to roll out of the building. I know that it is in an odd location, but I really am surprised that it isn't packed the entire time the doors are open. Eat here....you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment