Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Spikes Keg 'O' Nails


While on the way back from lower Michigan heading to the U.P., my husband and I stopped in Grayling for some lunch. Before even reading on the history or the menu of Spike's Keg 'O' Nails, the outside looked like such a dive (in a good way) that we took a chance that paid off. For a brief history, it opened on May 29, 1933 the day after prohibition ended and the name was picked out from a contest. Famous baseball stars and boxers were customers of that time, and he was a pillar of the community. Be sure to read more information of him on their main website. This little building definitely has some history behind it. (Who would have thought by looking at it?)


For an appetizer we ordered one of my favorites, which if you're a cheese addict like me, is always cheese curds. They were amazing, like cheese curds usually are. The breading was crispy, the cheese was squeaky and melted, and was even better dipped in ranch dressing.


There were many options on the menu that looked amazing, such as the pulled pork, but my gut (literally I suppose..) was telling me to go for the 'Spike's Patty Melt'. I had upgraded to the pretzel bun, but the waitress apparently forgot because when it came out, it was on rye bread. A mistake well made because the rye bread gives this sandwich an extra flavor that would have been missing with the pretzel bun. It was topped with grilled onions that were soft and almost caramelized, and melted Swiss cheese. This is one of the best patty melt's I have ever had. My burger was cooked perfectly, the onion rings that I got on the side were amazing with really thin fried batter on the outside. Whatever dip they give you (I can't for the life of me remember) to dip the sandwich and rings in is the perfect match.

Spike's seems to be one of THE places to eat in Grayling. We arrived and there were only two tables filled, but by the time we left, every seat, including the bar, was packed. If we lived closer, this would definitely be on the rotation of places to eat!

Spike's Keg 'O' Nails, Main Website

No comments:

Post a Comment