Friday, October 30, 2015

Vango's Pizza & Cocktail Lounge


Vango's has been a staple in my family as one of our takeout places since as far back as I can remember. It is one of my dad's favorite restaurants in Marquette so I can say I have tried many different items on the menu over the years. Vango's is one of the oldest pizza joints in Marquette, in fact, I've heard stories from family members about how they used to make the pizzas and flip the dough in the front glass windows (way, way back in the day).


One of my favorite items on the menu is the Cajun Chicken salad. I have no clue why, except maybe since I've ordered it so many times over the years it has become like a comfort food for me. It is just a few items literally thrown together. A mound of mixed lettuce is topped with shredded cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes, sliced Cajun seasoned chicken, and served with a dressing of choice (always Ranch) and pita bread. It's really nothing special, but still a staple for me.


My favorite, FAVORITE dish from here is the Spanakopeta. I love Spanakopeta and not very many places in the UP that I have been to serve this dish. It is Phyllo dough packed with spinach, rice and feta cheese. Normally the dinner version of this is served with cottage cheese. However....


I ordered it as part of the Greek Combo so that my husband and I could try something different on the menu but that I would still get my little slice of Spanakopeta heaven. I really wish I would have just ordered the Spanakopeta. The stuffed grape leaves I gave all to my husband because the meat was overcooked and they were not at all appetizing. I dipped a spoon into the "lemon egg sauce" and I did taste lemon, and not a whole lot of lemon, in a sauce that is consistent with congealed chicken stock. I can't even describe the confusion in my mind while taste testing this, but it was not a pleasant experience. The Spanakopeta slice was of course as amazing as it usually is.

Vango's seems to be a hit or miss but is usually for the most part good food. Usually the order gets messed up in some way when you order out (which is all we usually do when we get food from there), but most of it is still worth it. They also serve up some amazing pizza, great gyros, and the waffle fries with the ranch dip is amazing. It is definitely a Marquette staple and has a lot of history.

Vango's, Main Site
Vango's, Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment