Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Lawry's Pasty Shop


I was never a lover of pasties growing up. I think it has to do with the pie crust, or flaky crust that is used because I would always only eat the filling when we used to get them in Marquette. When my husband and I moved to Ishpeming, the closest restaurant to us is Lawry's Pasty Shop, so one day I thought, heck, why not right? Taste buds change all of the time. Well, although I still don't usually have a CRAVING for them, Lawry's is the best place in the Upper Peninsula, so far, that I have ever had a pasty from.




This, is what a pasty should look like. We usually get the large ones (17 oz.) but they do make 12 oz. and mini pasties also. The inside of them stays so moist and the potatoes are always cooked perfectly. No need to doctor them up, just throw the usual ketchup and mustard on them and you are good to go.



My favorite thing from Lawry's, is actually not even a pasty at all (although they are great). It would have to be the BBQ Pork sandwich. Their rolls (from scratch like everything else here), are soft and the pork is packed with flavor. Did I mention this sandwich is practically the size of an adult's face? It is huge! They have many kinds of sandwiches, and I have heard the pizza is also fantastic.


And you can't forget about dessert! They always have a few cookie choices and their cinnamon rolls. Let me show you a picture for a size comparison to a stick of butter...


THAT is how huge these cookies and cinnamon rolls are. My husband and I usually end up splitting the cookie, and the roll, well, that usually lasts a few days or gets brought into work for some help.

Since 1946 they have been serving up the best pasties in the U.P. Some will try to argue with you and tell you that the pasties from their hometown are better. They are wrong. Although there is a Lawry's in Marquette, I grew up eating them from a few different places. The only time we had Lawry's though is when my dad used to bring them home after work from the Ishpeming location. I have even tried pasties from Munising, Sault Ste. Marie, Houghton, etc. and I am still going to stand by my statement of Lawry's in Ishpeming being the best.

Not from around here and feeling left out? No worries! Lawry's ships their pasties to those less fortunate to be a few blocks away, like I am. There are multiple kinds and sizes for sale to ship, so don't wait to try the best pasties in the U.P.!

Lawry's Main Site
Lawry's Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment