Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Wisconsin Brew Pub

 

Last week, I had the opportunity to get out of the Upper Peninsula for a few days and go on my nephews "Spring Break". I put that into quotes, because we left with a whole lot of snow, and went to Wisconsin Dells, to which there wasn't any. We stayed at the Kalahari Resort, which was HUGE. This was my first time to the Dells, and minus me being a person who hates crowded places, I had a lot of fun.

On our first night of vacation we decided to check out the Wisconsin Brew Pub located inside the resort. If I ever open up a restaurant, this would be the type of food I would serve. Talk about the most RANDOM ingredients put together to create one dish, and you know what? It worked!

Let me describe some of the dishes that they have on the menu. Two people at our table ordered the "Bavarian Beer Mountain". This was grilled Kielbasa set on top of mashed potatoes, doused in a stout beer cream sauce, with mushrooms and onions. I stole a bite of the mashed potatoes with the beer sauce and it was delicious. Another dish that stuck out is the "Diamond Grilled Cranberry BBQ Salmon", which I hate fish, and almost ordered. It is a homemade BBQ sauce grilled salmon, with a house made cranberry relish, and steamed broccoli. Almost everything on the menu I would eat, and want to try, but I would have to stay at the Dells for a few weeks and eat there every meal to do it (and let's be honest, the Kalahari is NOT a cheap place to stay....).


For dinner I ordered the Pepper Jack Pico Chicken Sandwich. I really wanted a burger, but chicken at the same time, and a sandwich that hopefully wasn't too greasy. I nailed it. On top of the bun was a juicy piece of grilled chicken, with melted pepper-jack cheese, topped with pico de gallo, fresh sliced avocado and salsa verde. It came with a pickle spear, and normally a side order of fries. I am not a huge fan of fries, but I love me some cheese curds.....so I made the right choice and substituted! It was all amazing. I can't even find the words to explain how good this sandwich was. And they toasted the inside of the bun but didn't slather it in melted butter or oil, which I HATE a greasy bun.


For "dessert", I ordered the Yahara Bay Espresso Martini. It wasn't bad, even though it was served in a champagne glass, and I am a lover of coffee. But this drink was on the  borderline bitter side. They didn't lie when they said there was a straight shot of espresso in there. What they don't tell you is that there is no sweetness, and even the whipped cream on top (that also wasn't sweet) didn't help. What can you do? It's booze, you ordered it, so you drink it....

If you are staying at the Kalahari I highly recommend this restaurant as a go to for a meal. Do NOT go here however, if you have a headache or can't stand loud restaurants. We couldn't hear people down at the end of our table, it was that loud. The food was surprisingly decent priced, and made everyone's stomach very happy. I mean come on....who wouldn't love a place that serves burgers with cheese curds INSIDE of the burger?

A link to their Facebook page and website is below:

Wisconsin Brew Pub, Facebook Page
Wisconsin Brew Pub, Kalahari Website
(To access the menu, scroll down to the bottom of the page on the Kalahari website.)


No comments:

Post a Comment