Tuesday, June 30, 2015

1951 West


One of my husband and I's favorite places to stay while in Green Bay, Wisconsin is the Comfort Suites on Bond Street (for those that know us personally, you will realize why that is funny!). Even though we have previously stayed here, this was our first time eating in the restaurant that is in the hotel, called 1951 West (which also happens to be the hotel's address). The style of cuisine in my opinion is upscale American food. I know I have talked about Nakashima's on my blog before, and how it was in my top three favorite restaurants in the area. Well, so is this one.


The decor is very modern and dark with deep wood tones and different textures from the walls, to the floors and even the tables. It is absolutely beautiful.


This is the 1951 Ultimate Appetizer. On the giant platter in the above left picture, is a massive assortment of goodies. Starting from the upper left corner, there is Bruschetta; a toasted baguette topped with fresh Mozzarella, diced tomatoes, shredded Parmesan and drizzled with a balsamic reduction.  To the right of that are the Tuscan Stuffed Scallops, which are broiled Sea Scallops on the half shell stuffed with Pancetta, sun dried tomato, basil, baby arugula and Parmesan cheese. That large heap in the middle is the West Tavern Chips. The homemade chips are smothered in Applewood smoked bacon, green onions, and topped with a bleu cheese sauce. In the bottom left corner are the Reuben Rolls. The won ton is stuffed with slow cooked corned beef, bacon-beer kraut and Swiss cheese. The dipping sauce is Maple Dijon horseradish. Last but not least in the bottom right corner, is the Ahi Tuna won tons. The Ahi Tuna is seared with a sesame crust, topped with a Chipotle-mango chutney, Asian citrus slaw, and finished with a wasabi aioli. They also have some sort of sweet dipping sauce that I never did find out what it was, and a huge side of wasabi paste for the daring. Not only was that a mouthful to type, but also to eat! I had never tried scallops before, or Ahi tuna considering I am not a huge seafood person and hate fish. I tried everything but the bleu cheese nachos (I still can't bring myself to eat mold). The Ahi tuna was amazing! I never thought I would eat a piece of fish that was still raw in the middle, but that sesame seed crust on the outside and the fresh mango and sauce jazzed up that fishy taste and made it delicious. I have also never eaten a scallop in my life until now, and other than the piece of grit (I am assuming maybe from the shell), the flavors worked very well together. I still might have to warm up to the texture of scallops, but it really wasn't bad.


This, is why I love fancy restaurants. If I could do it for a living, I would be a food stylist for that reason. The food here looks absolutely beautiful. I am a stickler for "you eat with your eyes first", and let me tell you my eyes were drooling! For my main course, I ordered the Cajun Tenderloin, which was a featured dinner entree. The meat was an 8 ounce tenderloin with a maple bacon topping. On the side was a Dijon pesto mashed potato, caramelized brussels sprouts, baby carrots, and roasted butternut squash. Drizzled on top of the whole thing was a cranberry balsamic reduction. I never order beef, I'm more of a chicken person, but this is one of the best pieces of meat that I have ever had. And the Cajun crust on the outside sent it over the edge. It had quite a bit of kick, but in a good way.


My husband's main entree, which of course he let me taste test everything on his plate, was the Red Stag Buffalo Meatloaf. The Bison meatloaf was wrapped in Applewood smoked bacon and glazed with a homemade Red Stag BBQ sauce. It was served over a cheddar and chive potato croquette, with a side of fresh vegetables, and topped with fried breaded onion strings. This also tasted even better than it looked.


I also got a very strong but tasty beverage to celebrate my best friends birthday (pictured above), and also on the same day, my husband and I's 5 year wedding anniversary. The drink pictured is a Hazelnut Irish Cream, which is made up of hazelnut liqueur, whiskey, and Irish cream, and dolloped with whipped cream. 

This restaurant is absolutely amazing. I don't know how much more I could rave about it without sounding repetitive. We will definitely be eating here every time we stay at this hotel, or in the area. The food is to die for, and the ambiance makes you feel cozy and elegant. This is a must stop for people in the area!

1951 West, Main Site
1951 West, Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment