Monday, November 23, 2015

Mikado Japanese Steakhouse


The first night we got to Kentucky to visit my sister-in-law, we decided to go to a new Hibachi restaurant in Oak Grove, Kentucky. It had pretty good reviews and I love Hibachi, mainly because I get to see everything they are putting into my food.


Like my favorite restaurant in Green Bay, Wisconsin, they served a small salad with ginger dressing and a soup for a starter. The soup however, was a broth with small pieces of fried tempura batter. It was a decent soup, as far as broth soups go, and I love the ginger dressing on the salad.


All three of us ordered Hibachi. I was kind of disappointed with our chef, because he had absolutely no personality. He did the lava coming out of the stack of onions deal, but not a whole lot else. He didn't flip the shrimp tails, he didn't pretend to put pepper in people's drinks, nothing. My sister-in-law tried to joke with him to get him to loosen up, but that didn't work. He was nice, but no showman.


I ordered the chicken and shrimp hibachi. The shrimp, chicken, veggies and fried rice were all amazing. I don't know what people's fascination with 'yum yum' sauce is but I find it odd. It is too much like a mayonnaise flavor and doesn't at all remind me of any Japanese flavor that I've ever had. Although I appreciated the  noodles (instead of the bean sprouts, which I would have preferred), but the yum yum sauce was off putting.

This is not the best hibachi restaurant that I've been to, but it wasn't bad necessarily either. My meat was great and I still had that gingery mustard like sauce to dip into. If we go back to Oak Grove I think we will try to find the hibachi restaurant that we had our engagement dinner at. The whole reason you go to a hibachi place is to be wowed and dazzled, am I right?


Mikado's Main Site

No comments:

Post a Comment