Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Roxane's Smokehouse Restaurant


On our way back from the Paranormal Convention in Sault Ste. Marie, we were starved and stopped for lunch at a restaurant that I had been wanting to eat at and had written down as a "must stop while on this trip". Roxane's Smokehouse Restaurant is located in Eckerman, Michigan and has been in business since May of 2012. They serve slow-smoked BBQ, homemade pizza, subs and hamburgers. From 9AM to 1PM on Wednesday through Sunday, they also serve breakfast. And still have room for dessert? How about some homemade pie or some Jilberts ice cream!


The inside feel is like an old diner, filled with Coca-Cola and Betty Boop items. There are old fashioned bar stools at the counter, and the classic checker style black and white pattern on the floor.


They also have their own line of BBQ sauces that are homemade, and can be purchased by the bottle (to which of course we did). And oh man....those BBQ sauces! They have a mustard style sauce, pictured above on the left. More of a sweet and tangy sauce that is pictured in the middle. And a maple sauce that is on the right hand side. Forgive me for forgetting what the actual names of them are.



I had the Pulled BBQ Chicken Sub. The menu may look slightly pricey, but once the food actually gets to the table you should be able to see why it is priced pretty perfectly. The portion was HUGE! (And that is not a complaint!) The sub was packed with pulled smoked chicken and melted cheddar cheese (or any cheese of your choice). It also comes with a side of coleslaw (which I ate, and I hate coleslaw), and a side of crispy fries. I didn't limit myself to any one BBQ sauce that they had, I tried it with all 3, and STILL ended up taking half of my sub home.


My husband ordered the Beef Brisket dinner, which came with three sides of your choice. The brisket was juicy and perfectly cooked. It is always a good sign to look at the smoke rings that form when places smoke their own meats. And this brisket definitely had some amazing and tasty smoke lines. He ordered the baked beans, mac and cheese and coleslaw for his side dishes. What is not pictured is that he also got a slice of pie with his meal, which he ordered the banana cream pie. I also had to help him taste test the pie, and to no surprise it was also very tasty.

Whether you already live close by, or are driving to or from the Sault Ste Marie area, you should stop here and eat. I have been to Tennessee and have had some great Memphis BBQ, and I am a BBQ fanatic. I promise you that you will not be disappointed!

Roxane's Smokehouse Restaurant, Facebook Page

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog - local Ishpeming resident also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Feel free to add any of your own experiences on here! Or let me know if you have any suggestions of places to go or things to try!

      Delete